Why is the CSR share price plunging 9% today?

Red arrow going down symbolising a falling share price.Red arrow going down symbolising a falling share price.

Investors are punishing the CSR Ltd (ASX: CSR) share price in Thursday’s session having pushed prices 9% lower on the day.

CSR shares are currently swapping hands at $5.20 apiece as downward pressure continues on the company from traders exiting positions en masse.

Volume is also 625% of its 4-week average amid a slew of broker downgrades, despite the majority of analysts still advocating to buy.

CSR share price revised down

Jefferies and Macquarie both levelled of their view of CSR in recent notes, both downgrading the company to neutral.

Analysts at Jefferies reckon there “is a period of capex catch-up ahead” in correspondence to clients and “…forecasts, the prospect of the current pipeline of work falling sharply”.

The broker also mentioned that headwinds in the housing market, such as interest rates and softening prices will also weaken new housing approvals.

It cut CSR to a hold at a $5.90 per share valuation, just behind Macquarie who values the share at $6.05 each.

Analysts at UBS were less pessimistic on the outlook, baking in a strong buy call that’s been retained for some time now by the Swiss investment bank.

Still, these three brokers would be going against the grain, even after the company’s full year earnings release yesterday.

At present, 75% of coverage has CSR as a buy right now, according to Bloomberg data. Whereas the remaining 25% advocate it to hold CSR shares.

The consensus price target from this list is $6.35 per share, implying a 22% upside potential should the bull thesis play out.

CSR share price snapshot

In the last 12 months the CSR share price has booked a 15% loss after extending another 11% into the red this year to date.

In fact across all major time frames CSR shares are in the red.

The post Why is the CSR share price plunging 9% today? appeared first on The Motley Fool Australia.

These 5 Cheap Shares Could Be Set For Huge Gains (FREE REPORT)

We hear it over and over from investors, “I wish I had bought Altium or Afterpay when they were first recommended by The Motley Fool. I’d be sitting on a gold mine!” And it’s true.

And while Altium and Afterpay have had a good run, we think these 5 other stocks are screaming buys. And you can find out the names of these stocks in the FREE stock report.

*Extreme Opportunities returns as of February 15th 2021

More reading

Motley Fool contributor Zach Bristow has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia’s parent company Motley Fool Holdings Inc. has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool Australia has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. This article contains general investment advice only (under AFSL 400691). Authorised by Scott Phillips.

from The Motley Fool Australia https://ift.tt/tj8KS2D

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s